Contributing Writer: Kathleen Regalado, Featuring Story by: Stephanie Mora | CCN-
Ho ho ho! Greater Manassas City Christmas Parade finally came to town! This year’s theme: All Aboard the Polar Express!
On Saturday, festivity and joy blessed Mathis Ave through Manassas for the 71st time. Non-profits, clubs, teams, businesses, churches and organizations came together to welcome the Christmas holiday season to smiling citizens who waved and cheered the floats and performances as they weaved through Old Town Manassas.
The entire town was covered in tinsel and garland, glitter and gold, evergreens and velvet bows. Marching bands shared their mastered beats, floats were decorated on all sides in Christmas trees, ornaments, fluffy snow and gifts. Without a doubt, Santa Clause and Mrs. Clause were the highlight of the parade that warmed the hearts of all citizens and made them believe. This is what CCN member and Christmas Parade participee, Stephanie Mora, had to say about her experience.
December 3rd, 2016 was the day I had been waiting for ever since I joined my dance studios competitive team. I had seen my sister have so much fun from years before that it just made me excited to think about it. The morning was a drag, I had to wake up at 6:30 am, and I’m not used to waking up that early during the weekend. That morning I had to get up and do my hair, my sisters makeup and my makeup on top of that. We had to get dressed and make sure we were warm underneath. When we found our float, we had time to drink hot chocolate and eat some breakfast. An hour or so before the parade, my dance studio started to warm up and run through dances. While we were practicing the dances, I looked over and saw my mom. She gave me the biggest smile-the kind that let me know she was proud of me. That was when it hit me, this was actually happening and I was nervous yet happy. Dancing through the parade was an exciting experience I’ll never forget. A few days later we found out that we had won first place, which made the whole experience even better.
2016’s Winners for the 71st Greater Manassas Christmas Parade:
1. All Saints Catholic School – E. E. Wine
2. Boys and Girls Club of Manassas – Burke and Herbert Bank
3. Mayfield Intermediate School – Bull Run Kiwanis
1. Eastern Memorials
2. Okra’s Cajun Creole
3. Vertical Rock Indoor Climbing Center
Clubs and Organizations Float
1. St Thomas United Methodist Church
2. Girl Scouts Service Unit 90-3
3. Manassas Church of the Nazarene
Manassas Rotary Club
1. – TIE – Battlefield High School Marching Band and
Manassas Park High School Marching Band
2. Stonewall Jackson High School Marching Band
3. Osbourn High School ‘Screaming Eagles’ Marching Band
1. Manassas Park High School Cheer
2. Osbourn High School Cheerleaders
1. Showcase Dance Studio
2. Spotlight Dance Company
3. Manassas Youth Ballet
1. Lucky Dog Grooming
2. Manassas Therapy Dogs, Inc.
3. Silver Eagle Stables
1. Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
2. Manassas (HOG) Harley Owner’s Group
3. DC Metro Minis
Non-Float Marching Units
1. Center for the Arts – Pied Piper Theater
2. Stonewall Jackson AFROTC
3. Knights of Columbus